Wednesday, September 7, 2011

pumpkin chocolate chip muffins

I make muffins quite a bit for breakfast. My kids aren't big into eggs or oatmeal so muffins are usually our breakfast of choice...they can only eat pancakes or waffles so much in a week!

I always make muffins from scratch. It really doesn't take that much longer than the mixes and they're healthier & cheaper. Pumpkin muffins are one of my kiddos' all time faves and with the weather turning cooler we're getting into that fall/pumpkin mood.  

Of course, this week the weather here has been in the 90s. So much for fall!
A lot of time when a recipe calls for chocolate chips I'll use the mini chips. They're just more fun :) And most times I'll make mini-muffins instead of regular size. I started doing that years ago and my kids actually look at them funny when I make the regular ones! Although, with the pumpkin muffins I made regular ones because my mini muffin pan has taken quite a beating over the years and isn't so 'non-stick' anymore. And for some reason the pumpkin muffins stick more than other ones. 

So here's the recipe...

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins
1 cup flour
1 cup sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp allspice
2 eggs, beaten
3/4 cup ground pumpkin (canned)
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2/3 cup mini chocolate chips 

I mix all of the ingredients together except for the chips, then fold those in. Spray pan (or use liners), fill muffin cups & bake at 350 for 15-20 min for regular size muffins, 10-12 min for mini muffins. 

Recipe adapted from Becky Higgins 
Photobucket

3 comments:

Katie R. said...

Michelle, these look yummy! Thanks for sharing the recipe! You know how much I love pumpkin, so I will have to try these soon.

Lisa @ Organized Chaos said...

These look amazing. I wonder if you could substitute a gluten free flour in making these? I am on the lookout for new recipes for Fall! ~ Thanks!
~Lisa @ Organized Chaos

Shauna {Lemon Kissed} said...

these sound amazing! I was just thinking it's time to bake something pumpkin-y! I can't wait to try the recipe, thanks!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin