Monday, February 1, 2010

burlap wreaths ~ take one

Apparently burlap wreaths are all the rage right now. Do some blog surfing and you're sure to find a bunch. I first found some ideas over on tater tots and jello blog. She has a tutorial here if you want to go check it out. She has also shared several reader creations and their take on the burlap wreath. (I'll show a couple of my faves at the end)

So here goes. As always, click on the picture for more detail. I bought a 16" Styrofoam wreath (used a 40% off coupon of course!). I bought one that was straight on the front and back (not rounded). You wrap it with 4" wide strips of burlap & secure with a hot glue gun.
Excuse my snowflake tablecloth. It was the only plastic covered one I had handy. I wasn't about to ruin a good tablecloth!
After it's wrapped you take some material & burlap & cut 2" and 3" circles. I used 3 types of fabric and cut approx. 25 of each size in each fabric. (I did have some leftover)
Using your hot glue gun, secure layers of circles together. I used buttons on top but you could also use brads or whatever else you have. Since I have a *ton* of buttons that was the logical choice for me.
There was no rhyme or reason for my placement of the circles. You could take a more methodical approach but I'm just not that kind of gal. And what you end up with is a super cute wreath for your front door (or wherever else you want to put it!)
Hopefully by this point you haven't scalded too much skin off your fingers with the hot glue. I have 2 Scooby Doo band-aids on my fingers as I type this...

I used some matching ribbon along with twine & a strip of burlap tied in a knot to hold it on the door. I didn't want to put my last name in the middle like some of the others did but I'm thinking of putting a "W" on there somewhere. Haven't figured that out yet.
 
And my front door is dark grey so color options are pretty endless when it comes to wreaths. But I thought these bright colors were so fun and would get me through the summer season! 

Here's the details on the fabric I bought: 3 different patterns of Home Decor fabric at Joann's (the thicker stuff), on sale for $7/yd, 1/2 yd each. (probably could've gotten away with 1/3 yd but didn't want to risk it). 1 yard burlap at 2.99/yd. Wreath was $5 or $7 and I used a 40% off coupon. And both kinds of ribbon cost about $5 total. Pretty inexpensive for a custom wreath! And I have some supplies leftover to make another project :)

Oh, by the way, my friend Carol came over to make a wreath, too. She did a St. Patrick's Day wreath. Check it out:
Cute, huh?! Here's a few more that I found blog surfing that I though were super cute...

 


See what I mean?? Lots of inspiration out there!! I also bought some more fabric to make a smaller wreath for Valentine's Day. I'll put that one inside somewhere. Can't wait to get started on that one!
  Photobucket

13 comments:

America said...

Oh my goodness, too cute! I LOVE yours, it's so whimsical and bright! Thanks for your sweet comments, I'm posting a pic & link to your blog. Thanks!

Tami said...

I love it!! I've got to try one of these wreaths.

Cheryl B. said...

Thanks so much for giving me yet ANOTHER project to do. This is adorable. Might have to go shopping tomorrow.

Lisa said...

Just read this this morning before work and stopped for my burlap after work!! but i didn't get more fabric, or a wreath form! rats! thanks for the cute ideas!!!

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

Michelle!

What a cute wreath you made. I love it! And the one your friend made is super darling too! I am going to link you and your pictures up to my Reader Spotlight post -- it will be published this weekend!

And thanks for the sweet comment about my daughter! Love your blog!

XOXO
Jen

Paula@SweetPea said...

I'm here from Jen's blog and see that you posted my version of her burlap wreath. Thanks!! I love the ones you created. Now I want to do a St. Patrick's one and an Easter one. BTW, I love your blog!

Me and My Pink Mixer said...

I absolutely love your wreath! The colors are so pretty together. You have inspired me to try to make one - off to Michael's as soon as I can get out of my driveway full of snow!!

Pamela said...

Loving your wreaths! I just made one that I will be blabbing on about this week!

Me and My Pink Mixer said...

I love your wreath! The colors are beautiful! I am trying to make one now ~ I'll let you know how it turns out. Do you mind telling me what color your front door is? My needs painting & I really like your color - thanks.

Laura said...

Burlap is all the rage, isn't it?! I just love the way your wreath turned out. I'm going to try and make one this weekend. Thanks for the inspiration!

Simply Sara said...

So cute, I want to try this!!!

Michelle Lyman Design said...

Visiting from Sassy Sites. LOVE these wreaths! I'm your newest follower!

Jamie said...

Your burlap wreaths are just the cutest I've ever seen! I hope it's okay, I just couldn't help but feature your St. Patrick's Day wreath on my new blog. You can see it here:

http://crafteronabudget.blogspot.com/2012/02/st-patricks-day-crafts-and-decor.html

Thank you so much for sharing and especially for sharing how you made it :0)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin