Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Fat Tuesday/Ash Wednesday

Yesterday we met with some friends from church for a Mardi Gras dinner for Fat Tuesday. BTW, my kids just love that it's called "Fat" Tuesday! The dinner was ok but the company was great as usual. There was a older gentleman from our church that was doing magic tricks for the kids. My kids were blown away since, of course, they are fascinated with magic! When it was time for the King cake Olivia found the baby....which made her excited and Ben sad. You can never win can you?? But I think he was upset not just over that but the fact that it was past his bedtime and he was so tired. Today it didn't seem to bother him too much.

And today, of course, is Ash Wednesday. Which for me means "bye bye sweets" til Easter. So my yummy Cadbury eggs will have to wait til Easter morning! Although I will say that I'm giving myself a cheat day because I'm having something going on next month. And I know we get a cheat day on St. Patrick's day, too. We have a church dinner/fundraister that night so I'm gonna try and not cheat. Other than that I'm gonna do my best to stay away in preparation for Easter (among other things). And then there's also the no meat on Fridays which isn't hard for me. The hardest part is simply remembering it's Friday so I know not to eat meat. There's usually at least one Friday during Lent when I remember after I've eaten "oh crap, it's Friday isn't it?!!" So then I just fast the next day.

I thought I'd share a quick quote from Catholic Online:

Ash Wednesday marks the beginning of the Season of Lent. It is a Season of penance, reflection, and fasting which prepares us for Christ's Resurrection on Easter Sunday, through which we attain redemption.

Happy fasting everyone :)

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin