Sunday, October 3, 2010

tiny little embryos

Yes, those are my embryos :) My tiny little future baby Whitlows! hehe My doctor said I had 'pretty embryos'. Why thank you Dr. T!!

I didn't know what to expect going into my appt on Friday given that they had decided to do the embryo transfer on day 3 instead of day 5. I figured that meant that they weren't doing well. That's what he had told me before...that he typically did a day 3 transfer if he didn't think they were gonna make it.

We were pleasantly surprised with the news we heard that morning. The embryos looked really good. His exact words 'you did good!' Wow. Big sigh of relief I can tell you. The main reason for doing a day 3 transfer? Because we only had 3 embryos and couldn't risk losing any of them. If we waited til day 5 we would know which ones would drop off and which ones wouldn't. Maybe they would all make it since they did look really good. 

The embryos are rated 1,2,3,4; 1 being really good and 4 being bad. #1 embryo was rated as a 1; embryos 2 & 3 were rated as a 2, but a really good 2. But again, since we didn't know if we could lose any of them the best choice was to put them in and give them the best fighting chance they had.

And yes, we put in all 3 on my doctor's recommendation. He said if they looked like that on day 5, he would recommend putting in 2. But again, there's no way of knowing which one of those would drop off between day 3 & 5. And we didn't want to risk losing one or picking the wrong one. They also 'hatched' my embryos which means using a laser to prick a tiny hole in the outer layer. The embryos can't attach without breaking out of that and when you're {{ahem}} over 35 that outer layer can get harder to break. Why does he always insist on bringing up my age??? hehe

The worst part of the whole procedure was the fact that I had to do it with a full bladder. Yep, full bladder while he's messing around with the embryos and I have a nurse pushing an ultrasound right on my bladder. It was horrible. Thankfully it only lasted about 15 minutes...I wouldn't have lasted a minute longer!

In a week and a half I'll go to my dr for blood work (pregnancy test). Until then we wait. And I have to go in for bloodwork tomorrow to make sure everything is looking ok.  It's a very strange feeling knowing that my little embryos are in there. Apparently they'll float around for 3 days before attaching...hence my 'limited activity' for 3 days. I've basically spent the weekend sitting around. I'm thinking I might attempt some scrappin' as that only involves sitting at a table.

So you probably won't hear me talk about this anymore until I find out the news. I'm praying for good news next week!!


Bec said...

Woohoo! Just keep sending mental notes to those little embryos- attach attach! Hopefully you will be sharing some exciting news with us soon! Well, even more exciting news than this.

Natosha said...

Awwww look at those lil embryos! They look GREAT! What a beautiful thing, the start of life!

Can't wait to hear the news :)

Sending you thoughts & prayers.

Kim's Treasures said...

Very exciting! The little embryos are so make cute embryos...hehe! Rest up and take good care!

Jenn said...

oh, it is an exciting time! I bet waiting is very hard right now-maybe you have some scrapbooking supplies and other great little distrations lined up to get you through? I am rooting for your babies, Michelle!

Jill said...

Hoooray for kick butt embryos!!! Take care!

Carol said...

Awww, they look awesome! I told you, OVER ACHIEVERS!! Woo Hoo :)
I can't wait to hear the good news!

Virginia said...

Goodness, I think I would be going out of my mind thinking about it nonstop. Praying for you to be able to get through this waiting time quickly and that you have some great news to tell us soon!


Kayla said...

Good luck.

Donna S. said...

I will be praying for good news for you. Everything sounds very promising. Time to sit back and read a good book. It might help keep your mind occupied as well. Take care.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin