Monday, September 27, 2010

IVF - timing is everything

I had my last ultrasound & blood work yesterday. Yes, I had a dr appt on a Sunday. Because my eggs wait for no one! hehe I'm scheduled for my egg retrieval tomorrow morning. Right now, there's about 11 follicles total that are growing. 4-5 are right on the cusp of maturing, 4-5 are almost there and may or may not be there by tomorrow morning. The problem is, if we try and wait for the ones that aren't quite mature we will lose the ones that are already there. So it's a gamble. 

I'm feeling very anxious about tomorrow. Anxious that everything will go ok. That he will be able to get enough 'good' eggs and those eggs will fertilize and grow into viable embryos. That the procedure itself will go ok (remember I have a lot of scar tissue in there and there's always the possibility that some things aren't where they should be). Anxious about the whole thing.


The last 2 weeks come down to this week. I feel like Phoebe on 'Friends', when she was doing IVF for her brother & sister in-law. And she made the comment 'they're literally putting all of their eggs in my basket!" 


This is a one shot deal for us. There won't be a second chance for getting more eggs. This month cost us $16K. There are no more loans to get. We aren't going to bankrupt our family to have another child. If this doesn't work and there's embryos left over we've decided we'll do one additional transfer. And that's it. 


So, I'm trying to keep a hold onto this...
Trying to have faith. Faith that whatever the outcome, this is where God wants me to be. Even if it's not the outcome that I want.


On a brigher note - I don't have to take any injections today! Woo hoo!! I took my last one last night and I'll start on progesterone shots tomorrow. I took a picture of the syringes to give you an idea of what I've been taking these last 12 days:
These were all belly injections. I took 37 in all over the last 12 days.

The left one was for Lupron, taken twice a day from day 1. This one helps keep me from ovulating (suppresses LH surge).  

The middle one is for Gonal-F, taken once a day at night, started on day 3. This one helps stimulate egg growth.


The one on the right is for Menopur, taken once a day at night, taken for the last 5 days. That one helps stimulate egg growth, too. This one I very much disliked. Even though the needle is a bit bigger it actually went in easier but the medicine burned going in each.and.every.time.


Last night I took a 4th medication called Ovidrel which is the IVF trigger shot (triggers ovulation). I had to take that at a specific time last night based on my ultrasound & blood work done yesterday. I don't have a pic of that but it looks pretty similar in size to the middle one.


Tomorrow starts progesterone shots. Soooo not looking forward to those. They are intramuscular (which means booty shot). You can see why here:
Yes, the needle looks that big. To give you a comparison, the other needles are about a 1/2" long, the progesterone needle is  1 1/2". 

Yeah...now you see why I'm not looking forward to that one. 

So tomorrow is a big day. And hopefully in 3-5 days from tomorrow I'll be going in for an embryo transfer!
  Photobucket

10 comments:

Natosha said...

Wishing you all the luck in the world!!!

I was on P-injections for the first 14 weeks of my pregnancy. They really aren't too bad. Though, I learned quickly to rub the area with my fingers right away b/c sometimes the oil based medicine swelled and welted in one area for a few days before absorbing.

Again, good luck!

Bec said...

My cousin was unable to have a 3rd child (it would have killed her) and so her and her husband chose to adopt a little girl. I can't imagine our family without little Carolyn in it! Just letting you know sometimes God leads you in other directions than you think ;) GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!

Jen said...

Good luck tomorrow! I will be thinking about you & tell everyone I said HI! :-)

Jen said...

Good Luck! I will be thinking about you tomorrow and tell everyone I said! ;-)

Jill said...

Oh my goodness! You're so brave!! I'd never be able to do this!! Best of luck!!

Chelle said...

I am wishing you the best of luck tomorrow. You are so strong.

Traci said...

you will be in my prayers!
good luck and best wishes!!!

Mara Campbell said...

Good luck Michelle. Keep the good thoughts flowing, hope it all works out for you!

Anonymous said...

Stumblee on your blog from NoelMignon-hope everything turns out alright. Sending prayers your way!

Katie R. said...

Sending thoughts and prayers your way, Michelle. I know it'd be hard for me to do all those injections, so I consider you one brave soul to go through this.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin