Saturday, April 10, 2010

my garden journal

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood! The sun is shining and the kids and I got back a bit ago from checking out the flea market. We hadn't been in quite a while. We did manage to find some treasures but I'll share that in a separate post. Today I thought I'd share my garden journal. It's simple but cute :)
I found some canvas-like material...I love how the edges are all frayed :) Not sure exactly what it's called, it reminds me of thick muslin. I found it near the decorator fabrics in Joanns, where they sell those uber-thick materials for outdoors. To make the title I simply used some Making Memories green paint with some foam stamps that I've had sitting around for just this sort of project. Glad I didn't get rid of them with the last scrap room cleanout! 
That title reminds me of those Heidi Swapp stamps that were really popular a couple years ago, doesn't it?? Anyway, I cut some flowers out of scrap pieces of fabric with my Sizzix, then loosly stitched around them and added some buttons. I put a piece of cardboard in between 2 layers just to give it some support, then I stitched a wavy line around the outside. I first did it in white but then realized it would look better in a darker color so I went with brown. Inside I added some goodies from Noel Mignon's last kit "Sonoma County". Great kit if you love greens, browns & yellows (which I do!)
I've seen garden journals divided up into seasons but I kept mine more basic. There's 2 sections ~ 1 for the backyard and 1 for the front. I'm also going to add a 3rd for inspiration photos & things I'd like to do in the future. Cause as well all know, gardening is always a work in progress!

So here's the inside.
I found this scrap of corrugated cardboard and thought it'd be cute in the front. I'm planning on adding a cute quote there, just haven't found the one I want yet.
On the inside of the "backyard" page I added one of those cute Maya Road envelopes for seed packets.
And here's a couple of my pages just to give you an idea of what's in there. 
I added graph paper for drawing layouts of my gardens & lined paper for notes. Because the book is held together with 2 rings I can easily change out pages & add things.

I also made sure that the book was large enough to add some of the packaging from my flowers. That way if I ever need to refer back to what something is, when it blooms, etc I have it right there.
And that's it!

Photobucket

3 comments:

Kim's Treasures said...

Way too cute! I can't wait until it's warm enough here to start our garden!

Mara Campbell said...

This is so cool!! I love the canvas and the corrugated cardboard and all the different elements. They come together beautifully.

Life as we are living it said...

Love it! The paper is perfect. I cant wait to see all the pics once they are blooming. I know it is going to be beautiful.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin